Monday, February 21, 2022

Major-General William T. Sherman to Major-General Ulysses S. Grant, July 17, 1863—8 p.m.

JACKSON, July 17, 18638 p.m.

I have just made the circuit of Jackson. We are in full possession, and Johnston is retreating east, with 30,000. men, who will perish by heat, thirst, and disappointment. The place has been well fortified. We have the heavy guns and about 400 prisoners, and more being picked up hourly. I do not pursue, because of the intense heat, dust, and fatigue of the men; but I will perfect the work of destruction, and await orders. Trains all safe. I propose to break railroad 10 miles south, east, and north, and out for 40 and 60 miles in spots. We are in possession of some 50 cars, which will be burned. What more shall I do?

W. T. SHERMAN,        
Major General.
General GRANT.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 2 (Serial No. 37), p. 528

No comments: