Saturday, July 30, 2022

William T. Sherman to George Mason Graham, September 20, 1860

LANCASTER, OHIO, Sept. 20, 1860.
DEAR GENERAL:

I did regret and do still regret that under the circumstances you thought it your duty to your own feelings to vacate the position of vice-president and I will further venture the expression of my earnest hope that you will do nothing to show the public that you have lost confidence in the government of the Seminary. Your acts and your power have never been contravened, but I admit that at the last session the opponents to the military feature of our institution made a home thrust, more at my power than anything else. You know that many of my acts have been virtually reversed and now I am made to fill an office requiring me to carry out the resolves of the Board of Supervisors and of an Academic Board.

I certainly do not covet power, but if the public and my friends look to me personally to do certain things, they will misjudge me when my acts must be a zigzag course between the indefinite opinions of two deliberative bodies. Were you vice-president, I would still [act on my own responsibility] whenever occasion arose, but it may be different in case a less reliable occupies that vacant place. The Board of Supervisors mistake much in supposing that cadets will be safer under the Academic Board than under a Board ordered by me, whose acts I could revise, restrain, and even veto. The more I reflect the more convinced am I that the Academic Board should not be trusted exclusively with the enforcement of discipline, but it is now done and the next session must pass under the new system, and I must needs try the experiment, only I want it to be universally known that I will not compromise my military reputation by a seeming assent to a system of government that has ever failed, and must fail in this instance.

I wish to be distinctly understood as not complaining at the personal application of reducing my power to a mere “supervisory” power—a right to complain to the Board of Supervisors—instead of what ought to be a right to control. If the cadets find out that my wings are clipped won't they make it rather uncomfortable to me? Still I have had little experience in these matters and may be mistaken, and will try another session. I will leave my family where they are and come to Alexandria by way of New Orleans.

I feel uneasy about Jarreau. Still as my power is now merely "supervisory,” if he utterly fail in his contract I am in no wise responsible. I never mentioned to you that last November I introduced Jarreau to my friends Kennett and Co. of New Orleans, enjoining the latter in all cases to supply good articles of groceries. Jarreau bought of them to the extent of some $1,300 without paying one cent. They wrote to me and at my instance he sent down one of his monthly payments of $800, leaving still $500 due. I feel that Kennett looks to me for that and I don't know but I am liable. Jarreau is too careless about such things and it may be said too that I was too careless in incurring such a liability, after my recent business experience.

I have several letters from Mr. Boyd, giving me reasonable assurance that the items of work devised for the summer will be substantially done. Frank's desertion did not much surprise me – you mistake in saying my “favorite Frank.” I got out of him all sorts of work for which we could not afford to employ help—clerical or other—he never had charge of anything subject to larceny, except may be some blankets and I could readily have detected that. I employed Wright. In my absence Smith discharged him and Frank fell in because no body else was at hand and as the boy was willing we used him for “all work." I think if he has stolen nothing more than Mr. Boyd reports his account is not much over. When I left he had $3 due him and had in his room (paid for) some $20 of merchandise.

I could get hundreds of intelligent young men here who would go with me for moderate wages; but a drummer or clerk, the only posts I ought to fill, must from the necessity of the case be subject to the command of others, who would order them about in a style and manner to which Ohio boys are not used to, and the result would be "off.” So I discourage all who apply. One young fellow—a good musician but neither drummer or bugler, says, he is going south anyways, but he must go at his own cost and risk. Smith at my suggestion applied at Old Point Comfort to my personal friend Captain Ord who says he can supply us. Smith writes about road expenses, and wages and I feel a little doubtful now, whether I have a right to make a bargain without the ratification of the Board. There is a resolution to “furnish” the building and to provide in advance the stores, but nothing about drummer and fifer. An army drummer and fifer would suit us better than boys picked up as we picked up Wright and Frank. Still I can not afford pecuniarily to run the risk of these private bargains of hire. Still I think I will write to Smith that if Ord will recommend a drummer and fifer, both willing to work either as clerks, storekeepers, and sweepers of halls, lighters of lamps, etc., that I will agree to employ—expenses up from New Orleans to be paid by Seminary, to New Orleans by himself and myself jointly until the Board ratify. The family recommended to you by Captain Maynadier were of too delicate health to suit the present period of our establishment. All must work in some sphere or other.

Mr. Boyd says that the drought prevented the delivery of lumber, so that the roofs are not yet on – still even if done I would not bring my family now. I have written to finish Mr. Vallas' house first.

To a mere looker on the political game of our country is funny. In the South you are struggling between Bell and Breckenridge. Here their names are hardly mentioned, and the orators are noisy only for Douglas and Lincoln. Political majority has passed to the North and power must follow. Sooner or later the North will control, and the only question in my mind is, will she abuse it? Nobody now can say she will or she will not. I know some Southrons say they won't await the chance. I think they will and should. Even the wide-awake Republicans here say they don't mean interference with slavery. They opposed the repeal of Missouri Compromise and the events connected with Kansas, but of course I don't look to word for meaning. I am satisfied no president in power will weaken the country over which he presides.

Of course I keep aloof from all political cliques and knots, and only express an opinion occasionally to the effect, that there are many men of action and ability at the South, who will act with prudence and decision when the time comes, but that danger does exist from the growing suspicion and distrust, between the two general sections of one country. My wife and family are well. Mrs. S. begs that I will thank you for your repeated offers of hospitality—but she ought not to budge from here till she can move straight into a house of her

SOURCE: Walter L. Fleming, General W.T. Sherman as College President, p. 283-6

No comments: