Friday, August 19, 2022

Brigadier-General Albin F. Schoepf to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, October 22, 1861

CAMP ON ROCKCASTLE RIVER, October 221861.

SIR: I sent up this morning all the spare wagons on hand. Please send me supplies of provisions of all kinds.

I sent an express to your headquarters yesterday, with a rough pencil note of the events of the day. The enemy has not since presented himself. I sent out scouts this morning to ascertain his whereabouts. These scouts have since returned, and report that the enemy have fully retreated in the direction of London.

Our loss yesterday is ascertained to be 4 killed and 18 wounded. On examination of the battle ground I set the enemy's loss down at 30 killed, with a large wounded list, the latter taken by them off the field (as I learn from an intelligent citizen in the vicinity), except 3, which were brought into our camp and properly cared for; one since died. Our wounded are doing well.

These prisoners, all examined separately by myself, gave the same statement relative to the strength of the enemy, viz, about 7,000.

The enemy fought well, approaching to within about 50 yards of our muskets with shouts and cheers, which were promptly responded to by our men, under the immediate command of Colonels Coburn and Wolford.

I yesterday asked for artillery ammunition and caps for rifles, to which I would now add a further supply of musket cartridges and caps.

The troops now en route for this camp will be held on the opposite side of the river for the present. I can hold my position with my present force against an equal or superior number, should the enemy again attack.

I will await further orders before following the enemy.

In the pocket of one of the wounded prisoners was found a letter to the commander of a Tennessee (secession) regiment, urging him to send forward his regiment to the relief of General Zollicoffer.

Respectfully submitted.
A. SCHOEPF,        
Brigadier-Genera1.
Brig. Gen. GEORGE H. THOMAS,
        Commanding First Kentucky Brigade, Camp Dick Robinson.

P. S.—I have just learned from a citizen on the route of the retreating enemy that they acknowledge a loss of 100 killed.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 206-7

No comments: