Friday, August 19, 2022

Colonel Theophilus T. Garrard to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, October 25, 1861

CAMP WILDCAT, October 25, 1861.
General GEORGE H. THOMAS:

GENERAL: Your aid arrived in time to save us from a certain defeat (what others may say to contrary notwithstanding). It is not necessary for me to say one word about the fight, for you have no doubt been fully posted. Though don't be deceived as to the number killed by us; my impression is that we did not kill to exceed 16 and wounded some 30 or 40. Many say we lost a great victory by not pursuing the enemy. It is true, if we had have known as much then as now we might have done wonders. But we expected an attack the next morning and every one was sleeping on their arms, and we never knew the enemy had left camp until near 8 o'clock. We have a great many here who know precisely how to manage affairs when the enemy is out of hearing, but would be as much at a loss to do so in a fight as I would be.

The teams you ordered turned over to me have for some cause been retained. I have but one team in my regiment. I have detailed Lieutenant-Colonel Ridgell to go to your camp for the purpose of getting some teams for my regiment; also to remain until he can procure clothing for the soldiers. I do not attach blame to any one, but my men are actually-suffering.

Yours, very respectfully,
T. T. GARRARD,        
Colonel Third Kentucky Regiment Volunteers.

P. S.---When I get my train I would like to get permission to move near London, as I would like to be with my family a short time, and I do not want to leave the regiment. I could send for my family to come to London. General Schoepf no doubt would let me go if I was to make the request, unless it was against your wish.

T. T. GARRARD.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 319

No comments: