Saturday, August 20, 2022

Brigadier-General Felix K. Zollicoffer to Colonel John P. Murray, October 28, 1861

CAMP BUCKNER, KY., October 28, 1861.
Col. JOHN P. MURRAY, Near Albany, Ky.:

SIR: I felt of the enemy's intrenched camp at Rockcastle Hills, on the road from London to Mount Vernon, on the 21st instant; found the position almost a natural fortification. My information [was] that the enemy was nine regiments strong there, and large reserves between there and Cincinnati. I fell back on the 22d, and will retire to Cumberland Gap, where I have placed a number of guns in position. The Log Mountains will soon be impassable, making this position difficult to hold. If the enemy advances, the approach is likely to be by way of Jacksborough or Jamestown. So soon, therefore, as I can complete the work, strengthening the pass at the Cumberland Gap (now in a few days), I will dispose my forces so as to be ready to meet the enemy on either of the other routes.

I hope you and Lieutenant-Colonel McClellan will co-operate to watch that border, and give me early and frequent reliable intelligence.

Learning that the enemy had retired from Albany, and desiring to see that the guns were all in position at the gap, I determined to return this way.

Very respectfully,
F. K. ZOLLICOFFER,        
[Brigadier-General.]

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 483

No comments: