Tuesday, August 23, 2022

Diary of Private Richard R. Hancock: Wednesday, October 23, 1861

Zollicoffer moved on to, and camped for the night at, Barboursville.

Two companies, A and E, of McNairy's Battalion, were sent out about ten miles from Barboursville on the Manchester road. They returned to Barboursville, a little after midnight, without learning any thing worthy of note.*
_______________

* I shall here relate an amusing incident that occurred while out on the above named scout. It occurred thus: We called on an old gentleman to know if he could furnish us some forage for our horses. He replied, rather emphatically: “No, I have no forage for your horses. My neighbors know I have none; I don't see why they sent you here." As soon, however, as the old gentleman was informed that we were “UNION” men, he cried out in a still higher key, addressing his wife, “O Betsey, these are good Union boys! I have plenty of corn and fodder!” We then fed our horses, and “ Betsey" furnished supper for several of the “good Union boys.”

SOURCE: Richard R. Hancock, Hancock's Diary: Or, A History of the Second Tennessee Confederate Cavalry, p. 65-6

No comments: