Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Colonel Thomas E. Bramlette to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, November 2, 1861

CAMP WOLFORD, ONE AND A HALF MILES FROM CAMP GOGGIN,        
November 2, 1861.    
(Received November 6.)

General GEORGE H. THOMAS:

I reached here with my command last evening.

The enemy on 31st ultimo threw forward to Monticello 400 to 600 of his cavalry. I learn to-day that he withdrew them the same night to some point not ascertained below Monticello, toward the Tennessee border. His infantry is yet in Clinton County, and I think will not now advance.

I have dispatched a messenger to Columbia, where I learn Colonel Haggard [and] Colonel Grider are with their regiments; and one of my wagoners, who had just come into camp from Adair, reports two Ohio or Indiana regiments are in camp. By to-morrow night I shall get reply. I have written to them to know what effective force they have at Columbia; whether they can move in concert with me, and when; whether they have sufficient force to throw in the rear to cut off his retreat, and, if so, can they still furnish, and how much, force to join with me in front.

If they will throw forward to Burkesville sufficient force to hold the passes and cut off communication with Buckner's line, the rebel and rabble crew can be effectually crushed.

I have ordered 400 of Colonel Wolford's cavalry go forward one hour before day to reconnoiter, to advance as far as they can prudently go, gather all they can of the strength, character of forces, positions, and movements of the enemy and return and report, by which time I shall hear from Columbia. From all I can gather I take it that this is the same body of unorganized, badly-armed rebels who have been heretofore gathered near Monroe, in Overton County, Tennessee. Their strength has doubtless been greatly exaggerated. There were for some two months near Monroe 2,000 to 2,500; they left there to join Buckner, and returned through Monroe County, Kentucky, Cumberland County, and to Clinton, where they were at last accounts, with the purpose of breaking up the unarmed camps at Burkesville and then at this place. Their failure to advance, I suppose, grows out of the fact that they ascertained that the camp at Goggin was armed.

Colonels Wolford and Hoskins requested me in your absence to take command.

I have sent back for the provisions we were unable to bring up. There is no possible chance for the enemy to advance upon our front without being cut to pieces. He may attempt a flank movement, but I will guard that in time to meet him at equally as formidable a pass.

Respectfully,
THO. E. BRAMLETTE.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 327-8

No comments: