Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Brigadier-General Felix K. Zollicoffer to Samuel Cooper, November 8, 1861

BRIGADE HEADQUARTERS AT OLIVER'S,        
Twenty-three miles from Montgomery, November 8, 1861.
General S. COOPER,
        Adjutant and Inspector General, Richmond:

SIR: On the 4th instant Lieutenant-Colonel McClellan sent me a dispatch, stating that he had information "entirely reliable" that 6,000 of the enemy—l,500 cavalry and the balance infantry and artillery—were encamped in 5 miles of Monticello, and were advancing towards Jamestown. He stated that he knew nothing of the whereabouts of Colonels Stanton and Murray, and that he had determined to retire with his cavalry force towards Pikeville, fearing he might be cut off if he attempted to retreat towards Montgomery.

I inferred that the enemy's force would advance towards Loudon Bridge, through Montgomery, and conceived the plan of intercepting them at Winter's Gap, in a mile of this place, or at the pass down the mountain, 18 miles from here, on the road from Montgomery to Kingston. I sent cavalry forward to pass up both roads and ascertain which way they were coming, I got the news two days ago at Cumberland Gap, and reached here this evening with my disposable force, a distance of 71 miles, one regiment having started from that gap and got up to within 15 miles of this position.

Just as I entered the road from Knoxville to Montgomery a messenger was passing from Colonel McClellan to Colonel Wood, at Knoxville, and I found he had a dispatch for me, stating that the information he had given on the 4th was founded in error. This letter is dated yesterday. He says there is a camp of the enemy 5 miles east of Monticello, but he does not know its strength or character. His pickets have been into Monticello. He is encamped at Camp McGinnis, 8 or 9 miles north of Jamestown. He says that he has not heard of Stanton and Murray for two days, but understands they are approaching.

I have determined to fall back to Jacksborough and completely blockade the two wagon roads through the mountains in that neighborhood. I have written to Stanton, Murray, and McClellan to unite their forces, and make a stand in a strong position, if they can find it, where the wagon road ascends the mountain from Monticello to Jamestown, forming intrenchments for the infantry commanding the pass. I left the regiments of Colonels Churchwell and Rains at Cumberland Gap, busily engaged in completing the works there. Within a week or ten days I think the defenses there will be very strong. I think the Jacksborough routes can soon be made effectively impassable, and then I hope to move by the Jamestown route and advance.

If you will examine the topography of the country you will perceive I have passed to this point along a valley at the foot of the mountain. The road is good. To pass from Jacksborough direct to Huntsville or Montgomery or Jamestown direct, I would have to pursue a mountain road, poor and broken, and the mountain is generally 30 or 40 miles wide.

Very respectfully,
F. K. ZOLLICOFFER,        
Brigadier-General.
(Same to Col. W. W. Mackall.)

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 530-1

No comments: