Wednesday, October 19, 2022

William Blount Carter to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, October 22, 1861

MORGAN COUNTY, TENNESSEE, NEAR MONTGOMERY,

October 22, 1861. (Received November 4.)
Brigadier-General THOMAS:

SIR: I reached here at 2 p.m. to-day. I am within 6 miles of a company of rebel cavalry. I find our Union people in this part of the State firm and unwavering in their devotion to our Government and anxious to have an opportunity to assist in saving it. The rebels continue to arrest and imprison our people.

You will please furnish the bearers with as much lead, rifle powder, and as many caps as they can bring for Scott and Morgan Counties. You need not fear to trust these people. They will open the war for you by routing these small bodies of marauding cavalry.

It is said here that Buckner has 9,000 men at Bowling Green, and that Zollicoffer has 12,000. I do not give this as reliable. I find our people have suffered beyond all forbearance, Hasten on to our aid.

To-morrow night I hope to be near our railroad. I have not been able as yet to gain any information as to my prospects of success.

I am obliged to send this note unsealed.

In haste, very respectfully, your obedient servant,

WM. BLOUNT CARTER.

Since writing the within I learn there were 300 troops with 140 wagons. Report says they are going to Bowling Green, and that 20,000 more are to follow. You shall hear from me again soon.

W. B. CARTER.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 4 (Serial No. 4), p. 317

No comments: