Monday, May 1, 2023

Acting Brigadier-General Jeremiah T. Boyle to Brigadier-General George H. Thomas, January 7, 1862

HEADQUARTERS ELEVENTH BRIGADE,        
Columbia, Ky., January 7, 1862.
General THOMAS:

SIR: A rebel steamboat passed Burkesville yesterday at 12 o'clock, loaded with men and cannon and other arms, clothing, &c.

I send 300 cavalry to heights on this side to intercept it, if possible. I will move with 300 of Third Kentucky and the Nineteenth Ohio to an advantageous position at the mouth of Renick's Creek, 2½ miles above Burkesville, on the Cumberland. I shall move the whole force here to Burkesville. It is only 4 miles farther from Glasgow than Columbia. I am not willing to see the Cumberland surrendered, without a struggle, to Zollicoffer and the rebel invaders. If this movement is wrong, it can be censured. I know it will be right if we whip the scoundrels and wrong if otherwise. More boats are expected up. If we delay much longer the enemy will have time to bring his re-enforcements from Texas and Louisiana.

We have no cannon, and must rely on our rifles to take off the men from the boats. With one piece of artillery the boats could be torn to atoms or sunk.

Can you not send me a section of a battery? I have ordered your commissary to supply rations to the troops about to move.

Respectfully, &c.,
J. T. BOYLE,        
Acting Brigadier-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 7 (Serial No. 7), p. 535-6

No comments: