Sunday, May 21, 2023

Senator John C. Calhoun to Thomas G. Clemson, February 6, 1850

Washington 6th Feb: 1850

MY DEAR SIR, I received yours of the 8th Jany. a short time before the commencement of my recent illness, of which I suppose the papers have informed you. The disease was a modified case of the Pneumonia. I have been for the last week entirely free from disease; and have so far recovered my strength, as to be enable[d] to ride out. I hope to be completely restored by the begining of next week to my usual strength. The disease, I think, will leave no permanent ill effect behind. I took little medicine and lost no blood. . . .

The slavery question has at length absorbed the entire attention of Congress and the country. The excitement is on the increase. Clay has offered what he calls a compromise, but will get little support. I do not see how the question can be settled. . . .

SOURCE: J. Franklin Jameson, Editor, Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1899, Volume II, Calhoun’s Correspondence: Fourth Annual Report of the Historical Manuscripts Commission, Correspondence of John C. Calhoun, p. 780-1

No comments: