Friday, July 21, 2023

William L. Marcy to Messrs. Geo. Douglas, C. O'Conor, and others, Committee, June 17, 1850

ALBANY, June 17, 1850.

GENTLEMEN—I have received your invitation to a dinner, to be given by the Democrats of the city of New York to the Hon. D. S. Dickinson. My personal regard for that gentleman, my respect for his talents, and my approval of his wise and patriotic course in the Senate, especially in reference to the agitating questions now threatening to sunder the ties which bind together our confederate States, induce me heartily to concur in the measures you have adopted to manifest their appreciation of his eminent services in the present crisis, not only to the State he so ably represents, but to the whole country. I am, however, apprehensive that circumstances beyond my control may prevent my personal attendance on that occasion.

While sectional interests seem to guide the conduct of so many of our national legislators, the merit of those who rise above these narrow views becomes more conspicuous and more deserving of expressions of public approbation.

Though the immediate constituents of a member of Congress may be a single district or State, his duties, under our constitution and form of government, are not thus circumscribed; he is bound to regard the general welfare. He cannot faithfully serve a part if he refuses to concur in what is essential to the interest of the whole. I would not willingly forego any proper occasion to commend and encourage any public man who takes this sound view of his duty, and fearlessly acts upon it, and I therefore regret that it is probable I may not be able to respond to your invitation by my personal attendance at the dinner to Mr. Dickinson.

I am, gentlemen, with great respect, your obedient servant,
W. L. MARCY.
To Messrs. GEO. DOUGLAS, C. O'CONOR, and others, Committee.

SOURCE: John R. Dickinson, Editor, Speeches, Correspondence, Etc., of the Late Daniel S. Dickinson of New York, Vol. 2, p. 438-9

No comments: