Friday, July 21, 2023

George M. Dallas to Charles O'Conor, Geo. Douglas, J. Addison Thomas, Schuyler Livingston, &c., &c., &c., Committee, June 14, 1850

PHILADELPHIA, June 14, 1850.

GENTLEMEN—As patriots and politicians, you have every reason to approve the legislative conduct of your representative in the Senate of the United States, Gov. Daniel S. Dickinson. During my service in that chamber, I did not fail to notice the untiring zeal, manly frankness, quick and powerful ability which he invariably applied to forward the interests and sustain the sentiments of the Commonwealth of New York. And in doing this, let me tell you (though you cannot but well know it already), he, at the same time, successfully exemplified his fidelity to the Republican party and his devotion to the Federal Union. It is no wonder that you should desire, at the present interesting juncture of national affairs, to mark prominently with your encomium and encouragement a public agent so eminent, so honorable, and so useful; and it would give me very sincere gratification were it in my power to join you at the entertainment for that purpose on Monday next, to which you have obligingly invited me. I am, however, constrained by my engagements to forego this pleasure, and content myself with offering to your indulgent adoption the following toast:

"The patriot Senator of New York: He who cherishes no higher aim than his country's good, and adopts no higher law than his country's Constitution!"

I am, gentlemen, very respectfully, your friend and fellow-citizen,
G. M. DALLAS.

SOURCE: John R. Dickinson, Editor, Speeches, Correspondence, Etc., of the Late Daniel S. Dickinson of New York, Vol. 2, p. 437-8

No comments: