Sunday, July 23, 2023

Charles Sumner to Horace Mann, September 3, 1850

You do not reflect that there are many here who have been through similar experiences.1 My position has always been humble compared with yours; but I remember the time when two or three of the metropolitan papers never missed an opportunity to fling at me, and when the “Advertiser” and “Atlas” had elaborate articles often impugning even my character for veracity. One paper had at least six or seven articles, short and long, against me. At that moment I was surrounded by a large circle of persons calling themselves friends; not one of them stirred in my behalf. The “Atlas” and “Advertiser” were owned in part by persons among my friends. Several became personally hostile, and down to this day have not renewed their friendship. But I have lived through it; you will live through your trial also. You are not the first who has suffered in this cause; though your case happens to be now most prominent, as your character and position are most prominent.
_______________

1 Mann was feeling keenly the personal attacks upon him made by the Compromise Whigs on account of his protests against Webster's recent course.

SOURCE: Edward L. Pierce, Memoir and Letters of Charles Sumner, Vol. 3, p. 217

No comments: