Thursday, September 21, 2023

Congressman Horace Mann, May 18, 1850

WASHINGTON, May 18, 1850.

My letter is approved or disapproved a thousand times more for its bearing on party attachments than for its merits: so, though I do not accept as just all the criticisms made upon it, or the condemnations bestowed upon it, neither do I suffer myself to be elated by the extravagant praises which it receives in certain quarters. I hope there is nothing in it that I shall be sorry for or ashamed of hereafter that is the greatest thing, after all. It pleases all people with whom antislavery is the first object. This is because antislavery is my first object. As you shade off with less and less antislavery, or more and more proslavery, and into attachment to party as a paramount motive of action, it is liked less and less, or disliked more and more: so that it has a perfect test. I suppose Mr. Webster is in a very anxious state of mind. He has never known what it was to encounter general opposition before. I have most urgent letters from the North that I shall answer his Newburyport letter.

SOURCE: Mary Tyler Peabody Mann, Life of Horace Mann, p. 301

No comments: