Friday, September 15, 2023

Senator Daniel Webster to Peter Harvey, May 19, 1850

Washington, May 19, 1850.

MY DEAR SIR, I am writing an answer to the Newburyport gentlemen, in which I shall state, fully and legally, the matter of the Fugitive Slave Bill. It will be visible in Boston in the course of this week, and I should be glad the newspapers would publish it, as many of them as choose.

We notice a good article on Mr. Mann and his letter, in the Courier of the 7th. Notice will be taken of Mr. Mann by gentlemen here of whom he speaks in his letter, but not by me. I may say one word of him, in my answer to the Newburyport letter.

I am glad you are going to Andover to see Mr. Stuart. Pray give him my warm regards. I am anxiously looking for his pamphlet.

Yours always truly,
DAN'L WEBSTER.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 370

No comments: