Saturday, September 16, 2023

Senator Daniel Webster to Peter Harvey, April 13, 1850

Washington, April 13, 1850.

MY DEAR SIR,—Your letter and The Courier of Saturday came together this morning. I am infinitely obliged to you for the pains you take to keep all things in order which respect me, and my speech. The editorial in The Courier is excellent; it is exactly in the right spirit. It convinces people.

I am very glad you inserted Mr. Sturgis's name, and Mr. William Appleton's.

From the South, the West, and some parts of the middle States, addresses, letters, and calls for speeches, continue to come in without number. It is evident that there is a milder feeling in the country, though I cannot yet say what will come of it. I meant to intimate, in my answer to the Boston letter, that nothing would be done with the tariff till this slavery question shall be adjusted. Our good friends from the North seem to come here, with no other notion than that they are to make speeches, in daily succession, against slavery. I am sorry to say, no one seems to take any comprehensive view of things, or labors for adjustment.

As to the time of my going home, my present hope is to reach New York next Saturday evening. It depends upon the time when the committee goes South. I will keep you well informed.

Yours truly,
DAN'L WEBSTER.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 365-6

No comments: