Wednesday, October 11, 2023

John Tyler to James Buchanan, Saturday Evening, February 9, 1861

Saturday evening, February 9, 1861.

MY DEAR SIR: I communicated to Governor Pickens what passed between us as to Mr. Holt's letter, and I am happy to say that the reply, received a moment ago, leaves me no ground to fear any early disturbance. The whole subject is referred to the convention at Montgomery, as I plainly infer. The conclusion is in these words: "Everything which can be done consistently with the honor and safety of this State, to avoid collision and bloodshed, has been and will be the purpose of the authorities here."

Thus, my dear sir, the inquietude you expressed may be dismissed.

Very truly and faithfully yours,
JOHN TYLER.

SOURCES: Lyon Gardiner Tyler, The Letters and Times of the Tylers, Volume 2, p. 612; John Bassett Moore, Editor, The Works of James Buchanan: Comprising His Speeches, State Papers and Private Correspondence, Vol. 11: 1860-1868, p. 142

No comments: