Thursday, September 26, 2024

Daniel Webster to Richard M. Blatchford, March 9, 1851

Washington, [March 28, 1851,] Friday, two o'clock.

MY DEAR SIR, —I have nothing from you to-day and am besides a little out of sorts. I am a little overworked. Yester day over my table from nine to four, and then four hours in the evening in my study, upon an embarrassing Mexican correspondence. The day is fine, I mean to mount Morgan, in ten minutes, and take the air. Business seems to press quite as hard as when Congress was here; but I will break off and go North, next Tuesday, if I am well. I want to see the sea; want to see Mr. Blatchford pull in a great cod; I want to see Mr. Baker's Alderney cows.

I have directed a boat to be made ready. We will hope that the skies may be propitious in the first ten or twelve days in April, so that we two, and Durf Hatch, and Dwelly Baker, may be on Ned's Ground, some warm, still, smoky day.

Yours,

D. W.

SOURCE: Fletcher Webster, Editor, The Private Correspondence of Daniel Webster, Vol. 2, p. 426-7

No comments: