Saturday, October 3, 2026

Diary of Gideon Welles, Monday, August 13, 1866

Secretary McCulloch arrived this A.M. Met him at the President's. His trip has been of benefit to him. McCulloch has grown upon me since he entered the Cabinet. Perhaps I have not been as observant and critical as I should have been had we differed, but from the beginning our views have coincided, and I have considered him, though not trained in public office or an experienced politician, as the most reliable and sensible man in the Cabinet.

Dennison has written a strange letter and made a speech of like character. I am disappointed in him, for he is exceedingly unjust and unfair towards the President. It is a bid, but he will be disappointed.

Dennison is very ambitious, and has a wife more ambitious than himself. Of the two, she is smarter, but D. is gentlemanly, kind, affable, has great suavity of manners. He will never obtain a higher position than the one he has recently resigned. It is said he wishes to secure the seat in the Senate held by Wade; but that can hardly be brought about, though strange results sometimes take place in these selections.

The letter and speech which now appear are mere party drivel, without statesmanship or enlarged and comprehensive views. Such stuff can convert no one, and retain no one. I am sorry to witness this exhibition, for Dennison aside from factions, is not destitute of merit, has some pleasant social qualities, and our families have been intimate. He is evidently expecting to make an impression in party harangues, but will scarcely succeed.

SOURCE: Gideon Welles, Diary of Gideon Welles, Secretary of the Navy Under Lincoln and Johnson, Vol. 2: April 1, 1864 — December 31, 1866, pp. 576-7

No comments: