Monday, May 4, 2015

Diary of Salmon P. Chase: Friday, September 5, 1862

The President, at Cabinet meeting, read Pope's Report, which strongly inculpates McClellan, Porter, Franklin and Griffin; and asked opinion as to its publication. All against it on the score of policy under existing circumstances. President stated that Porter, Franklin and Griffin would be relieved from command and brought before a Court of Inquiry; and also, I think, that the Order had been made.

The President had previously, at the Department, told me that the clamor against McDowell was so great that he could not lead his troops unless something was done to restore confidence; and proposed to me to suggest to him the asking for a Court of Inquiry. I told him I had already done so, and would do so again. So, availing myself of a Messenger from Genl. Pope who came during the meeting, I sent a note to McDowell, asking him to come over. He accordingly came in the evening, and I suggested the matter to him. He thought it hard to make the demand when there were no charges. I told him I thought he could assume the charge made by the Michigan officer who, when dying, scrawled a letter saying he died a victim to Pope's imbecility and McDowell's treachery. He reflected, and then said he would make the demand. He staid again all night.

SOURCE: Annual Report of the American Historical Association for the Year 1902, Vol. 2, p. 66

No comments: