Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Senator James W. Grimes to Commodore Samuel F. Du Pont, June 29, 1862

Washington, June 29, 1862.

Your very kind letter inviting me to visit you at Port Royal was received yesterday, for which I am greatly indebted to you. At first, my friend Mr. Fessenden, of Maine, and myself about determined to accept your invitation, but my anxiety to see my home, where I have not been since last October, has constrained me to forego the pleasure which I am sure a visit to your fleet would afford me. Should you be in that vicinity in the autumn, I hope I may be able to make the trip.

We hope to adjourn next week. I shall return to Iowa thoroughly armed by your kind aid, prepared to kill all the deer, grouse, and other game that I may be able to hit.

I have sent you the bill for the government of the Navy, as it passed the Senate; also the grade bill as reported to the Senate. I am sorry to say that I am the only member of the Naval Committee who really desires to pass the bill to establish new grades, etc. By agreeing to two or three absurd amendments, I finally succeeded in “badgering” it through the committee, and got it reported to the Senate, with the understanding that every member of the committee might vote as he pleased; hoping and believing that I can carry it by dint of impudence and will.

SOURCE: William Salter, The Life of James W. Grimes, p. 201-2

No comments: