Saturday, February 14, 2015

Diary of Corporal Charles H. Lynch: July 7, 1864

Rain this morning. Late last night the train got under way. Kept running all night. Soon after daylight a number of us climbed to the top of the cars. I always did that when I could. It relieved the packed condition of the inside. I have slept many miles while riding on top of the old box cars. The B. & O. R. R. leads through a mountainous country, West Virginia. As we rounded a curve we saw a large hole in the mountain. There came a shout for every man to lie down as the train entered a tunnel, a long one. We lay face downward. Thought the heavy smoke from the engine would smother me. A fearful experience. Before I could get down into the car we entered another. As soon as we passed through the second one, I made haste, got inside. That was tunnel riding enough for me.

Passed through Clarksburg and Grafton. Nothing important transpired during the run so far. The train moved along very slowly with its human freight, packed in filthy old box cars, soldiers who were fighting for our country. Wonderful how patient the men are, and what we have to endure. In the filthy box cars we came in contact with an army of pediculers.

SOURCE: Charles H. Lynch, The Civil War Diary, 1862-1865, of Charles H. Lynch 18th Conn. Vol's, p. 95

No comments: