Saturday, August 6, 2016

Brigadier-General Benjamin F. Butler to Governor Thomas H. Hicks, April 23, 1861

Headquarters, 3rd Brigade Mass. Vol. Milit. ANNAPOLIS, MD. Apr. 23, 1861

To His Excellency THOMAS H. HICKS, Governor of Maryland

SIR: I did myself the honor in my communication of yesterday, wherein I asked permission to land in the State of Maryland, to inform you that the portion of the Militia of the United States under my command were armed only against the disturbers of the peace of the State of Maryland and of the United States. I have understood, within the last hour, that some apprehensions are entertained of an insurrection of the negro population of this neighborhood. I am anxious to convince all classes of persons that the forces under my command are not here in any way to interfere or countenance an interference with the laws of the State. I therefore am ready to coƶperate with your Excellency in suppressing most promptly and efficiently any insurrection vs. the laws of the State of Maryland. I beg therefore that you announce publicly that any portion of the forces under my command is at your Excellency's disposal, to act immediately for the preservation and quietness of the peace of this community. I have the honor to be,

Very respectfully, Yours,

BENJ. F. BUTLER, Brig. Gen. Comdg.

SOURCE: Jessie Ames Marshall, Editor, Private and Official Correspondence of Gen. Benjamin F. Butler During the Period of the Civil War, Volume 1: April 1860 – June 1862, p. 26-7

No comments: