Sunday, June 3, 2018

Commander Andrew H. Foote to Gideon Welles, April 6, 1861

Navy Yard     
New York April 6/61
Sir,

Your orders of the 5th were received by Captain Mercer to-day. Captain Meigs, Lieut. Porter and Captain Mercer after consultation, concluded that Lieut. Porter should go out in the Powhatan as the arrangements were vital to success, at least so I was informed, not being present at the consultation. A few minutes before the Powhatan sailed, I delivered a telegram to Captain Mercer, signed H. Berrian, saying that Paymaster Gulick will deliver a despatch to me this evening. But at 2½ o'clock the Powhatan sailed. At 3 o'clock, when the Powhatan was out of sight, I received a despatch directed to Lieut. Porter, from Mr. Seward, telling him to proceed without the Powhatan as directed in the despatch to Captain Meigs. I have sent to New York a Lieutenant with orders to charter a steamer and chase the Powhatan unless there is no hope of overtaking her. It is time to close the mail and I will write fully by next mail.

I have the honor, &c.
A. H. Foote    
for Commdt

Captain Mercer leaves the Powhatan at Staten Island. I am informed that Captain Meigs has sailed this afternoon.

A. H. F.

SOURCE: Robert Means Thompson & Richard Wainwright, Editors, Publications of the Naval Historical Society, Volume 9: Confidential Correspondence of Gustavus Vasa Fox, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, 1861-1865, Volume 1, p. 27-8

No comments: