Tuesday, November 23, 2021

Official Reports of the Campaign in North Alabama and Middle Tennessee, November 14, 1864-January 23, 1865: No. 205. — Report of Maj. Thomas G. Williamson, Tenth Indiana Cavalry, of operations December 28, 1864-January 6, 1865.

No. 205.

Report of Maj. Thomas G. Williamson, Tenth Indiana Cavalry,
of operations December 28, 1864-January 6, 1865.

Near Waterloo, Ala., January 11, 1865.

LIEUTENANT: In accordance with orders received, I have the honor to make the following report of the part taken by the detachment of the Tenth Indiana Volunteer Cavalry under my command in the raid south of Decatur, Ala., from December 28, 1864, to January 6, 1865, inclusive, the detachment being at this time in a brigade, composed of Tenth Indiana, Second Tennessee, and Fifteenth Pennsylvania Cavalry, under the immediate command of Lieutenant-Colonel Prosser, Second Tennessee Cavalry:

On the 28th we marched from Decatur south on the Decatur and Courtland road, going into camp eight miles south of Decatur. On the 29th we overtook the rear of General Roddey's command, charging them for about six miles, capturing 30 prisoners, killing 2 and wounding 3 of the enemy. We went into camp two miles from Courtland, Ala. On the 30th of December we marched through Courtland to Leighton, on the Memphis and Charleston Railroad. Here we captured 3 prisoners. We camped at Leighton that night. On December 31 we marched toward Russellville, leaving La Grange to the left. Near Russellville we killed 1 man, captured 1 lieutenant and 6 men. We then marched on through Russellville, and at 8 p.m. we attacked Hood's pontoon train, consisting of eighty pontoons, also forty-five wagons loaded with cordage, equipments, forges, &c. We burned and destroyed the entire train and teams.

On January 1, 1865, we moved at daylight and marched on a trot all day, continued the march at night, and at 2 a.m., when we overtook and charged another wagon train, capturing and destroying the wagons by fire and killing the mules, about 500 in number, dismounted men taking some of the best mules to ride. The train consisted of about 125 wagons (this was Hood's supply train). On the 2d of January we marched back toward Decatur, Ala.., meeting no enemy this day, going over the mountain roads that I do not know the names of. On the 4th of January we overtook and attacked Colonel Russell, commanding the Fifth [Fourth] Alabama Cavalry, capturing his entire train, also about 30 prisoners, killing 3 of the enemy and wounding about 20; we also captured and burned General Roddey's headquarters papers. We lost here in this charge 1 killed and 1 wounded. Traveling all night, we stopped to rest at daylight, going into camp near Leighton. On the 5th we went to within twenty miles of Decatur, and on the 6th at sundown we arrived at Decatur. Our march was from Decatur to within thirty miles of Aberdeen, Miss., about three miles from the line.

In submitting this report I will respectfully call your attention to the conduct of Capts. William Mead and George R. Mitchell and their companies, D and H. They are deserving of great praise for the manner in which they conducted themselves during the entire raid.

Respectfully submitted.
Major, Commanding Tenth Indiana Volunteer Cavalry.
        Acting Assistant Adjutant-General.


Gravelly Springs, January 19, 1865.

Respectfully forwarded for the information of major-general commanding Cavalry Corps.

Major Williamson is the ranking officer present, the Lieutenant-Colonel Prosser mentioned being Major Prosser, of the Second Tennessee, now at Nashville, and Major Williamson's report is that of the expedition.

J. H. HAMMOND,        
Brevet Brigadier-General.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 45, Part 1 (Serial No. 93), p. 606-8

No comments: