Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Major-General Ulysses S. Grant to Major-General Stephen A. Hurlbut, June 27, 1863

HDQRS. DEPT. OF THE TENN., Near Vicksburg, June 27, 1863.
Maj. Gen. STEPHEN A. HURLBUT,
        Comdg. Sixteenth Army Corps:

GENERAL: Your idea of massing as many troops as possible at the important bridges in the case of an attack is right. If it should become necessary, you can go further, and hold only Memphis and Corinth. As much of the railroad should be held as possible, however.

The troops from Bragg's Army that are threatening you, are probably [doing] it to cover a further movement from his army to re-enforce Johnston. I have information that Johnston expects 10,000 men from there in a few days. There is scarcely a shadow of doubt but I will be attacked by next Wednesday or Thursday, unless Vicksburg should fall in the mean time.

It will be impossible for me to send troops from here in the mean time. Should I learn that Johnston was moving off, I will send all my surplus force to counteract his movements, whether it be to East or West Tennessee. Should more troops become absolutely necessary for the maintenance of your position before I can send them, telegraph immediately to the General-in-Chief for them.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
U.S. GRANT.

SOURCE: The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies, Series I, Volume 24, Part 3 (Serial No. 38), p. 444-5

No comments: