Thursday, July 18, 2024

Colonel Jefferson Davis to C. S. Tarpley and others, May 7, 1847

(From Vicksburg Weekly Whig, June 9, 1847.)

Monterey, May 7, 1847.

Gentlemen—Your letter of the 5th ult., conveying the resolutions of a public meeting held in the capital of our State, on the 3d of April, 1847, has just been received.

For the approbation thus conferred on the officers and men of the 1st Mississippi Rifles, I feel most sincerely thankful. For myself, and for those whom it has been my honor and good fortune to command, I will say, that in such manifestations of regard and esteem of our brethren at home, is contained the reward for whatever we have borne of toil, privation or loss; for whatever we may have achieved of honorable service in the cause of our country.

The necessary directions will be given, to place your letter on the records, and ensure its reading at the head of each company of our Regiment.

For the very kind and highly complimentary terms in which you, as the organ of the meeting have presented its resolutions, I am truly sensible, and offer my grateful acknowledgements. Cordially, I am your friend and fellow citizen,

JEFF'N DAVIS.        
Colonel 1st Mississippi Rifles.

Messrs. C. S. Tarpley, Jno. D. Freeman, Jas. J. Deavenport, H. Stuart Foote, C. R. Clifton, Charles Scott, Daniel Mayes, Jno. I. Guion, A. Hutchinson, Jno. Mayrant,-Committee.

SOURCE: Dunbar Rowland, Editor, Jefferson Davis, Constitutionalist: His Letters, Papers and Speeches, Volume 1, p. 71-2

No comments: