Saturday, August 3, 2024

Diary of Corporal John Worrell Northrop: Friday, May 13, 1864

Cold and wet. Throat and lungs sore, head and bones ache; I am nearly sick; got no rest. It grew warmer about 10 a. m. I lay down to get a little ease when orders came to get ready to leave. After a long parade, a great deal of threatening and ordering by officers to "slap the bayonet into them," we started out. In passing the guard we marched by twos. Going up the hill I slipped and fell behind. The officer that counted us was enraged; seized me by the collar, pushed me down the hill, then jerking the other way struck me across the shoulders with his sword a blow that staggered me. Had it not been death I should have struck him in the face, it was my first impulse. Our eyes met, I wanted to know him if we should meet again. He flourished his sword and with an oath ordered me on. It rained hard so there was not many to look at us on the street. Nearly noon I got aboard the car. It was after dark before we reached Burkville, a junction of the South Side Richmond & Danville Railroads. The most important place was Farmville, 70 miles west of Richmond on the right bank of the Appomattox River, a place of nearly 2,000.

Near this place we passed a high, long bridge. The car I was in was an old-fashioned coach with seats, although not cushioned we thought they were doing well by us. Shortly after dark I got as much out of the way as possible, for the boys were inclined to be "gay and happy still," and lay down on the floor. I felt much worn; my throat pained me constantly. Fortunately I had some camphor gum, sent from home during the winter, a pill of which I frequently took, which gave relief.

SOURCE: John Worrell Northrop, Chronicles from the Diary of a War Prisoner in Andersonville and Other Military Prisons of the South in 1864, p. 45-6

No comments: