Thursday, March 2, 2017

Diary of 1st Lieutenant John S. Morgan: Tuesday, May 2, 1865

The 2d Brigade starts at 7 A. M. with 4 days rations & in light marching order are accompanied by one battery of 6 guns & 30 empty wagons, about an hour after was surprised to see the whole column returning to camp. I learn the cause to be that at the picket post was met a Liuet & 15 men with a flag of truce who reports that there is a cessation of hostilities in this Department for 30 days he had with him an order purporting to be from Genl Dick Taylor with his name attached forbidding any demonstrations of hostilities for 30 days. The Div Adjt goes out to see him and asks by whose authority he comes with a flag of truce to our lines, says by no other authority than his own. The Adjt tells him to get inside of his own lines as speedily as possible & not to come again without clothed with proper authority. This is talk, but there is other talk no more reasonable. That the flag brought a sealed dispatch which was sent to Mobile unbroken, there being no other boats here the Octorara (Gunboat) was dispatched immediately. I think there is more of it than the authorites would wish the soldier to know, for there must be something important or the brigade would not have turned back neither would the Octorara the only Gunboat here have been sent to Mobile. I spend the forenoon reading, about noon Mr. Rush is in & brings our mess some pickles, he says that he saw a Capt Foster just from Mobile yesterday morning who says there is an armistice of 30 days & that Genls Granger & Taylor have been in conference at 8 mile creek near Whistler for some 4 days, P. M. spend napping. After supper Lt Laughridgc & self take a walk to the river, take a boat ride in a canoe returning towards camp stop at Lt Corys quarters, are soon joined by Maj Boydston. Spend about an hour here smoking & talking. The Maj tells us that it is a truth strange as it may seem that the pickets of both armies occupy Citroville amicably & the Reb army are repairing the R. R. from C — to Meridian, & our army repairing it from C — to Mobile, also thinks the paroles are made out & signed by this time for all of Taylors men, weather warm dust almost in tolerable, & fleas “thicker than the hair on a dogs back” as Brass band serenades Brig Hd. Qtrs, tonight.

SOURCE: “Diary of John S. Morgan, Company G, 33rd Iowa Infantry,” Annals of Iowa, 3rd Series, Vol. 13, No. 8, April 1923, p. 597-8

No comments: