Friday, February 28, 2014

Major General George B. McClellan to Abraham Lincoln, April 20, 1862

Private
 Head-Quarters, Army of the Potomac
Camp Winfield Scott, April 20 1862
His Excellency The  President

My dear Sir

I enclose herewith a copy of the first reliable map we have prepared of this vicinity – it will give you a good general idea of positions. In a day or two we will have one on a larger scale which will be more satisfactory to you.

I will soon send you one of the immediate front of Yorktown on which I will mark the batteries now being constructed & send such information as will enable you to put down the new works as they progress.

We are now actually at work, & nearly through, with 6 batteries for guns, have commenced a series for 10 13" mortars, & commence tomorrow morning another gun battery. As soon as these are armed we will open the first parallel & other batteries for 8" & 10" mortars & more heavy guns. Everything is going on admirably & we shall soon open with a terrific fire. I hope to hear hourly of the arrival of Franklin's Division, & shall lose no time in placing him in position. I hope the Galena will be here to assist us very soon. Gnl Robt Lee is in command in our front – Johnston is under him! I learn that there has been quite a struggle on the subject between Davis and his Congress, Davis insisting upon Johnston. I prefer Lee to Johnston – the former is too cautious and weak under given responsibility – personally brave and energetic to a fault, he yet is wanting in moral firmness when pressed by heavy responsibility & is likely to be timid & irresolute in action.

The difficulties of our position are undeniable, that is the enemy is in a very strong position – but I never expected to get to Richmond without a hard fought battle, & am just as willing to fight it here as elsewhere – I am confident of success, not only of success but of brilliant success. I think that a defeat here substantially breaks up the rebel cause.

They are making great efforts – enforcing the conscription with the utmost vigor, & now have their regiments full – whether the infusion of raw & perhaps unwilling men will benefit them remains to be seen – I doubt whether it is a disadvantage to us.

I am, sir, most respectfully
and sincerely your friend

Geo B McClellan

No comments: