Saturday, June 4, 2016

Major Wilder Dwight to Elizabeth White Dwight, January 5, 1862

cantonment Hicks, January 5, 1862, near Frederick.

DEAR Mother, — The New Year is fairly open, yet my pen has been silent. I would have had it otherwise, but have been prevented writing by a sudden call to Washington. There I saw Colonel William, who was as critical and hypercritical as possible. I enjoyed his discussions very much. His spirit and go are delightful. He will take his regiment wherever men can go, if they only give him a chance. We had a pleasant time, looking over his books, and talking about war and home. . . . .

The effect of my visit to Washington was to fill me with forebodings; but, as I won't stay filled, I am resuming my buoyancy again. Yesterday there was a great flurry. I had come up to Frederick to church, and was enjoying the service much. General Banks was called out of church, and we found that Jackson was threatening Hancock, and aiming to destroy the railroad bridges near by. An order was immediately issued, “Two days' rations in haversack, and be ready to march.” I did not allow it to disturb me, but this morning the Third Brigade went off in a snow-storm, before light, to Williamsport. We are left quiet; and, as I consider it all a mere scare, I am glad we were not aroused by it.

Winter quarters are pretty precarious, however. We are too far from the Potomac. This division is nowhere. It is liable to go anywhere, and hence is unfortunate. One regiment of the Third Brigade got back from Williamsport day before yesterday; now it is off again the same thirty miles through the snow. That's generalship, ain't it? Who is to blame? No one, of course. Bah! . . . .

I wish you all a happy New Year; and as for us in the army, I wish us all a fighting New Year.

SOURCE: Elizabeth Amelia Dwight, Editor, Life and Letters of Wilder Dwight: Lieut.-Col. Second Mass. Inf. Vols., p. 184-5

No comments: