Thursday, March 22, 2018

Gustavus V. Fox to Montgomery Blair, March 31, 1861

N. York
31 Mch. '61
Dr Judge,

I saw Mr. Aspinwall yesterday and in the evening met him and Capt. Marshall. From being for a long time most earnest in this matter, they are now astonished at the idea of Govt attempting it declaring that the time has past and that the people are reconciled to leaving this position and making the stand on Pickens &c. &c. &c. We argued the point till midnight. They propose making no move till Tuesday on account of the loan, promising that they can get me ready in time after that. I really think they doubt my word in the matter. I hope orders to the proper party for making the contracts will be sent at once. I had no chance to say to Mr. Welles that the heaviest howitzers must be put on the men of war for use in the tugs. The vital point in my opinion is a naval force that can destroy their naval preparations. All else is easy. Como Stringham is the person for the Sec'y to consult. The tugs may be obliged to go in and grapple with the enemy and the naval force must be sufficient, beyond a doubt, to accomplish it. I only suggested the three vessels as being all that were available. The navy will answer that this force is all right. I am sure of all else. I shall take ten boats in the Baltic so as to use either them or the tugs, as circumstances may require. I wish copies of the latest letters from Major Anderson, say since my visit, may be sent me, where there is any reference to matters. You have no idea of the fears existing with these gentlemen and I am not sure that they will decline all participation. So fall away, in the hour of peril, hands and hearts that should stand by our Govt. I am real heart sick, not discouraged, at the delays, obstacles and brief time allowed for a vital measure that should have had months' careful preparations.

I called upon Mrs. Anderson. She showed me a private letter from her husband where he writes, “I have just recd a letter from Genl Beauregard wherein he says Col Lamon told Gov. Pickens that in a few days I (Major A) would be transferred to another place."

Write or telegraph me at once, 77 Nassau St. care of Lowery.

Sincerely yrs
G. V. Fox.

SOURCES: Robert Means Thompson & Richard Wainwright, Editors, Publications of the Naval Historical Society, Volume 9: Confidential Correspondence of Gustavus Vasa Fox, Assistant Secretary of the Navy, 1861-1865, Volume 1, p. 12-13

No comments: