Sunday, December 4, 2022

Congressman Rutherford B. Hayes to Lucy Webb Hayes: December 7, 1865

WASHINGTON, D. C. December 7, 1865.

MY DARLING: Thanksgiving morning before breakfast. So far I have no very decided feeling about the life I am leading.

With my family here, pleasantly homed, I would like it well. As it is, I find nothing very gratifying in it and nothing decidedly the contrary. My quarters are well chosen. I do not yet mess anywhere in particular. I eat two meals a day wherever hunger overtakes me. I shall probably soon mess with Delano, Buckland, Welker, and Hubbell—a quiet regular set.

My old college chum Trowbridge and I naturally crony together a good deal. We called together at Governor Dennison's the other evening. Miss Lizzie was alone. Her cordial, unaffected manners, with some wit and a good disposition, make her a favorite here. She said the Ohio set were counting on "Aunt Lu" to be one of them with pleasant anticipations.

We called at Governor Chase's. He is more fleshy, an improvement rather, and more free and good-natured. He does not show any uneasy ambition—or rather, he seems to have made up his mind that his political career is ended; that it is of no use to worry about it, and yet that it is not by any means his choice. His little daughter is not at all handsome, and no longer little, but she is natural and kindly, perhaps bright. I saw no other of the family, but think Governor Sprague's family are with him.

Mussey is soon to have to be mustered out with his regiment of colored troops and then ordered to report to his regiment as captain. He is under a cloud—such a cloud that one hates to meet him or be seen with him. His unlucky military career has been much ventilated since he rose so high, chiefly because he did not bear himself "meekly" in his prosperity. Fortunately he seems not to feel or know it.

Thus far the noticeable men on our side of the house are Thad Stevens, Judge Kelley, and Roscoe Conkling, and on the Democratic side, James Brooks. Stevens is over seventy, sharp-faced, grim-looking, as Wilder Joy would have been if he hadn't fattened as he grew old. The only blemish in his puritanical, severe appearance is a brown wig. He is witty, cool, full of and fond of "sarcasms," and thoroughly informed and accurate. He has a knack of saying things which turn the laugh on his opponent. When he rises everyone expects something worth hearing, and he has the attention of all. You remember his speech on confiscation. He is radical throughout, except, I am told, he don't believe in hanging. He is leader.

Judge Kelley of Philadelphia talks often; has studied rhetoric and elocution, and, I am told, is theatrical overmuch, but so far his little short speeches have been exceedingly well delivered.

Roscoe Conkling of New York State delivers measured sentences in a grave, deliberate way that is good.

James Brooks, former Know-nothing leader, speaks pleasantly and is the leader of the Democrats; has, of course, to talk for Buncombe.

Delano has talked a little and is a good specimen of the lively, earnest style of Western talkers.

No doubt abler men have not yet showed themselves Banks and others. The House is a more orderly and respectable body so far than I had expected. The reading of the President's message was an imposing thing. The members, all attentive, looked like the thing we imagine. Mr. Boynton [of Cincinnati] was elected chaplain. Contrary to my wish and preference, I voted for Bonte, Judge Storer's son-in-law, to keep with the other Ohio members, but changed to Boynton, thus electing him before the vote was declared.

Tell me all about the boys and Grandma. My love to all. I shall want you to come back with me if convenient to you. You will be in time for the sights.

Affectionately ever, your
R.
MRS. HAYES.

SOURCE: Charles Richard Williams, editor, Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes, Volume 3, p. 8-10

No comments: