Thursday, January 25, 2024

Congressman Horace Mann to Samuel Downer, July 31, 1850

WASHINGTON, July 31, 1850.

MY DEAR DOWNER,—You could not have given me any proof of your friendship so acceptable as in writing to me with the frankness you have done. I am astonished at the idea that my notes were unjustifiably severe in the apprehension of any reasonable man. It is, as it seems to me, nothing but truth that gives them an edge. In what might be called harshness or bitterness, or, to use a still harder word, vindictiveness, my references to Webster, compared with his contemptuous and supercilious manner to me, were as honey to vitriol.

However, if I have gone beyond the point, in attacking Mr. Webster, at which the sympathy of the public is on my side, then I have made a mistake; but I do not feel that I have done a wrong. It cannot, however, be expected that my friends will attack him as his do me, or that mine will defend me as his do him. Besides, and this, I think, accounts for the most of it, since my notes were written, he has not only escaped the doom which awaited him as a Massachusetts senator, but has passed into a place of great power and influence. All are now looking at him as a man having almost the nation's patronage at his disposal, and as interested to carry out measures which will pay in gold. But I have no such prerogative, and therefore must suffer. This is my explanation of the matter. Could it have been possible that our fortunes could have been changed, I believe the result would have been changed also.

You speak of my not having written to you. It is too true. But I have been so worn down with what seemed indispensable to be done, that I have not found time, and could not, as I sometimes do, make it. . . . I wish would write me often. Tell me in frankness every thing that will be of service to me, and all in which I feel interested, whether I reply or not. Your letters are always so welcome to me, that, if you could know how glad I am to receive them, it would be some compensation to you for writing them.

I have not time to go into political speculations. The Compromise Bill will probably pass the Senate to-day, or almost certainly to-morrow. . . .

Yours truly,
H. MANN.

SOURCE: Mary Tyler Peabody Mann, Life of Horace Mann, p. 310-1

No comments: