Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Lieutenant David D. Porter to Commander Andrew H. Foot, April 5, 1861

ASTOR HOUSE [NEW YORK, N. Y., April 5?,] 8 o’clock.

DEAR CAPTAIN: I am with Captain Meigs and we are telegraphing to Mr. Seward. Meigs thinks Mr. Welles's telegram* is bogus. Would he, think you, dare to countermand an order (written order) of the President? Meigs and myself (knowing all the circumstances) think it impossible. I shall stay over to-night to keep telegraphing. So much depends on having no mistakes made in this matter. If you hear anything will you send me word? I will be at the yard at
6 o'clock in the morning. Will you take care of my boy to-night? And oblige me by sending the enclosed to Mr. Heap, on board the Powhatan

Yours, very truly,
D. D. PORTER.
[Commander A. H. Foote, U. S. Navy,
Acting Commandant Navy Yard, New York.]
_______________

* See p. ___

SOURCE: Official Records of Union and Confederate Navies in the War of the Rebellion, Series I, Volume 4, p. 111-2

No comments: